Local history groups looking to preserve, record and share their town’s history are encouraged to apply for the Public Record Office Victoria’s Local History Grants Program.
Applications are now open for grants of up to $15,000 to assist local community groups, sports clubs, schools and other organisations that collect and preserve the stories of our region.
The Nationals Member for Eastern Victoria Region, Melina Bath said the grants aimed to support local community groups planning or currently working on projects to secure their stories for generations to come.
Projects from across Eastern Victorian region previously supported through the program include:
- Morwell Cricket Club – $915 towards Morwell Cricket Club Public Display Records
- Gippstown Reserve Committee of Management – $5,200 towards Old Gippstown Heritage Buildings and Collections History Website
- Longwarry and District History Group Inc. – $3,930 towards Historical Photo Display Panels
- Warragul and District Historical Society – $4,182 towards Digitisation of film and audio tape records of local history
- Lilydale and District Historical Society – $6,989 towards digitisation of the Lilydale Express newspaper 1900-1913 and 1919-1920
Ms Bath said the diversity of past successful projects demonstrated how important it was to preserve our local history for future generations to enjoy.
“Our region has a vibrant history with many important local stories to share and preserve,” Ms Bath said.
“It’s been fantastic to see a number of community groups from across our region successfully secure a local history grant to pursue their own local projects over the past years.
“Capturing and understanding the linkages between past and present connects individuals through time and creates an understanding of where you have come from.
“I encourage all local historical societies, schools, sporting clubs and specialist interest groups to apply for this grant to help share their stories.”
The Local History Grants Program is now open to all not-for-profit community groups.
Applications close at midnight on 9 March 2021.
For further information or to apply, visit https://prov.vic.gov.au/community/grants-and-awards/local-history-grants-program.